Practicing in anticipation of tomorrow’s racing.                Photo: Rosser Bodycomb


November 1 -   Here we go!  The Boat Club was abuzz with excitement yesterday as teams began to arrive for check-in and for some, the dreaded hop up on the scale with anxious teammates looking over their shoulder.  Some have been trimming down for weeks and at least one team is not worried about weight restrictions because they are sailing with two bikini-clad crew members onboard this week, but registration officials warn against reporting full teams until the desk closes today and the crew juggling is complete.  Only a handful of those pre-registered were left to check in today.

TracTrac units were delivered and set up to be installed on all the racing boats each day so that those not here to witness the action from one of the designated spectator boats can follow in real time online.  Facebook and Twitter users will assist with reporting as well.  Organizers plan to post race results (pending protests) as soon as they are received from Race Committee throughout the day, starting tomorrow when the competition officially begins.

Today’s practice race was abandoned though the race committee set the windward/leeward course with a few brave souls out on the lake.   Patchy winds were 0-2 from the west/southwest, but as soon as three guns were fired with N over A and the marks retrieved, it began to fill in and a few more came out to play.  The chutes looked great as they paraded back and forth in front of the Boat Club in the wide part ofL-shapedEagleMountainLake, but that’s a direction we don’t see very often.

The Competitors’ Meeting was held at 1800 with the Commodore’s welcome, race officials introduced and some lively discussion with class officers and Jeff Johnstone about interpretation of pole position and continuous hoist situations.   A casual Tex-Mex dinner kicked-off the party end of things — official regatta racing begins tomorrow with a warning signal at 1000.

Karen Smith, Press Officer